This syllabus for the MBBS entrance exam in Nepal is also designed for MBBS/BDS/BSc Nursing/BASLP/B Perfusion Technology (BPT) study in Nepal.
Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences as a constituent campus started the MBBS program in 2001. The National Academy of Medical Sciences was established in 2002 and the Patan Academy of Health Sciences in 2008.
Table of Contents
MBBS Entrance Syllabus:
Since the late ’90s, over a period of a decade, numerous private medical institutions were also opened in affiliation with various universities.
On one hand, the rapid development of medical institutions helped for fulfilling the gap between the need for human resources for health.
For conducting the Undergraduate common entrance examination, the commission has felt the need to prepare a common syllabus in consultation with experts from various institutions with experience in the undergraduate entrance examination.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Entrance Exam:
- Passed 10+2 Science (Biology Group) or Equivalent
Physics, Chemistry and Biology with 50% aggregate in total marks
Secured at least C+ grade separately in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with at least C grade in remaining individual subjects along with a GPA of 2.4
Secured the Percentage equivalent to the above eligibility in regards to the certificate level programs (A-Level) with a different grading system
- Applicants who have passed the Health Science Proficiency Certificate Level /Diploma (General Medicine, Medical Lab Technology, Ophthalmic Science, Dental Science, Pharmacy, Ayurveda, Radiography, Physiotherapy) with Certificate of Equivalence to Grade 12 Science program from the National Examination Board
- Secured at least 50% separately in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with 50% aggregate in total marks both in Diploma and the Examination for Equivalence
- Registered in Nepal Health Professional Council OR Nepal Pharmacy Council or Nepal Ayurveda Council as per related educational program.
MBBS Entrance Exam Syllabus for 2022:
- Question type: Single best response type of multiple-choice questions
- Option: Four options (A, B, C, D)
- Number of questions: 200
- Full marks: 200
- Cognitive radio: Recall: Understanding: Application – 30:50:20
- Duration: 3 hours
Marks Distribution MBBS Entrance Exam:
|1.||Biology, origin and evolution of life||4|
|2.||General characteristics and classification of protozoa to Chordata.||8|
|3.||Plasmodium, earthworm and frog,||8|
|4.||Human biology and human diseases||14|
|6.||Environmental pollution, adaptation and animal behaviour, application of zoology||2|
|7.||The basic component of life and biodiversity||11|
|8.||Ecology and environment||5|
|9.||Cell biology and genetics||12|
|10.||Anatomy and physiology||7|
|11.||Developmental and applied botany||5|
|12.||General and physical chemistry||18|
|16.||Heat and thermodynamics||6|
|17.||Geometrical optics and physical optics||6|
|18.||Current electricity and magnetism||9|
|19.||Sound waves, electrostatics and capacitors||6|
|20.||Modern physics and nuclear physics||6|
|21.||Solid and semiconductor devices (electronics)||4|
|22.||Particle physics, source of energy and universe||3|
|e.||Mental Agility Test (MAT)||20|
|26.||Spatial relation / Abstract reasoning||5|
A common consensus on relevant issues related to the syllabus was generated with brainstorming and regular discussions as per the above-mentioned process involving all stakeholders related to the training of undergraduate academic programs.
- Experts agreed to develop the syllabus for four groups representing all the undergraduate programs:
- MBBS/BDS/BSc Nursing/BASLP/ B Perfusion Technology
- BAMS/BSc MLT/BSc MIT/BPT/BPharm/B Optometry
- BPH (Bachelor in Public Health)
- BNS (Bachelor in Nursing Science)
- A consensus was generated to have an entrance test paper with 200 multiple-choice questions to improve content coverage as well as to match with the recent practice. This will also help the differentiation of the candidates by minimizing the tie in the marks among the candidates.
- Multiple choice questions (MCQs) will be of Single Best Response Type (Type A) with four options.
- Adopt Criterion-Referenced Test with a 50% pass mark with no negative marking.
- A consensus was generated to allow 3 hours with instruction to the paper setter that the stem or vignette of the MCQs should not exceed 60 words.
- All agreed to include 20 MCQs from the Mental Agility Test for all the academic programs.
- For the programs with eligibility also from PCL in Health Sciences, a consensus was generated to include 20 MCQs related to the specific subject as per the respective PCL programs.
- The difficulty level of the items should be set from the time of item preparation as:
- Recall: 30%
- Understanding: 50%
- Application and above : 20%
Objectives of MBBS Entrance Syllabus 2022:
- To develop a common syllabus of specific academic programs for the undergraduate common entrance examination
- To generate consensus and match logically between the existing undergraduate entrance syllabus effective at various medical institutions
- To find the scope of improvements/innovations in the currently existing undergraduate entrance examination
MBBS Entrance Process :
- Institutions conducting undergraduate entrance examinations officially corresponded to send the ongoing undergraduate programs they are conducting and the syllabus for entrance examinations.
- The syllabus for related disciplines from various institutions was compiled.
- A team of experts in the related disciplines representing various institutions worked on the common syllabus with the help of available compiled documents.
- The workshop was conducted to scrutinize the contents and other aspects of the entrance syllabus involving the experts who developed the syllabus and experienced experts conducting undergraduate entrance examinations in various institutions and the head/chief of examination divisions in the respective institutions.
- A workshop involving all heads of institutions and concerned regulatory authorities was conducted to come up with a consensus.